Omnibus Book Tour

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Reading Went Swimmingly

Well, I freaked out a little, but only because I like to set up things in advance. Way in advance. And that just wasn't going to happen.

We had a pretty good crowd:

Crowd in the Hallway


Since it was a party celebrating the release of the first IPRC Audiozine, we had food and drink out in the hallway. They're all eating chili.

I borrowed a video projector from work, and it worked just great. Two days before the reading, I emailed one of the other readers to see if she wanted to do any projections, and she sent me a PowerPoint presentation to test. I tested it, and it seemed to work fine, but when she arrived, she said it was missing about five slides. So we had to frantically run around and burn a CD, load it, test it, etc. Now, I don't really suffer from stage fright, but I do get kind of wound up when I have to do stuff at the last minute, so I was a bit frazzled...

Dan Freaks Out


Ariel Gore, of Hip Mama read first:

Ariel Reads


She's standing in front of the IPRC library, which consists of about 5,000 donated zines.

Krissy read next from the back of the room, so she could change her PowerPoint slides as she spoke.

I did live narration for my short film about the Futurama ride at the 1939 New York World's Fair. It went much better than I thought it would, and I actually may have to re-edit the film a bit to ride the laughs better. Laughs! I am so obsessed with the subject of rides, and I spend so much time structuring and re-writing jokes, that I actually forget that my writing is supposed to be funny! It's kind of rewarding to hear an audience laugh out loud.